Serengeti National Park – Migration Safari
Serengeti national park Tailor Made Safari Tours is best safaris in budget or in luxury camp and loges to witness the great Serengeti Safari Migration. The Serengeti National Park safari is famed for its annual wildebeest migration, when some six million hooves pound the open plains, as more than 200,000 zebra and 300,000 Thomson’s gazelle join the wildebeest’s trek for fresh grazing. Yet even when the Serengeti safari migration is quiet, the Serengeti offers arguably the most scintillating game-viewing in Africa: great herds of buffalo, smaller groups of elephant and giraffe, and thousands upon thousands of eland, topi, kongoni, impala and Grant’s gazelle.
Serengeti National Park – Overview.
The display of predator in competition with prey leads Tanzania’s greatest park. Golden-maned lion prides feast on the abundance of plain grazers.
Solitary leopards haunt the acacia trees lining the Seronera River, while a high density of cheetahs prowls the southeastern plains. As enduring as the wildlife game-viewing is the liberating sense of space that characterizes the Serengeti Plains, stretching across sun burnt savannah to a shimmering golden horizon at the end of the earth.
Yet, after the rains, this golden expanse of grass is transformed into an endless green carpet flecked with wildflowers. And there are also wooded hills and tall termite mounds, rivers lined with fig trees and acacia woodland discolored orange by dust.
Popular the Serengeti might be, but it remains so vast that you may be the only human audience when a pride of lions masterminds a siege, focused on how next meal will be obtained.
Best to know in Serengeti National Park.
- The annual Great Tanzania Safari Migration of the animals from the Serengeti national park into Kenya in search of water and pastures is an amazing spectacle that attracts thousands of people worldwide.
- Its ecosystem supports the greatest remaining concentration of plains game in Africa, including more than 2 million large mammals.
- At times the column of wildebeest can be 40 km in length.
- The breeding season an explosion of 8,000 calves a day are produced.
- It is Tanzania’s oldest Park and its vast open plains have adorned the covers and pages of magazines for decades and featured in numerous films and documentaries. Serengeti Wildebeest
- Its name comes from the Maasai word Siringet, meaning “endless plains”. Serengeti Wildebeest
- Nominated as one of the contenders for the 7th Natural Wonder of the World.
- Has a high population of Lions and Leopards.
- The Seronera Valley is home to large prides of lions.
- Has the highest concentration of wild animals in Africa.
- Spectacular rock formations in the middle of vast open plains known as Kopjes.
- Although Lake Manyara is known for its tree climbing lions, during the peak fo the great wildebeest migration, lions are seen climbing trees here also, in search for prey and simply to get out of the lush tall grasses its prey feeds on.
- At the end of the rains in May and June when the wildebeest and other migratory mammals begin to head north-west to the Serengeti National parkj and Grumeti River, and sometimes associate with river crossing.
- Mid November until the annual calving in the south eastern parts of the Serengeti Safari between January and March. So effectively you would see the migration in different stages between December and June.
- For predator viewing, the best times are June – October
- Game driving in the open plains
- Float off into the sky, in a Hot Air Balloon Safari. Followed by a Champagne bush breakfast
- Bird watching – over 500 species of birds in Serengeti National Park