Bagamoyo Historical and Beach Tour.
The town of Bagamoyo, Tanzania, was founded at the end of the 18th century. It was (also spelled Bagamojo) the original capital of German East Africa and was one of the most important trading ports along the East African coast. Today the town has about 30,000 inhabitants and is the capital of the Bagamoyo District, recently being considered as a world heritage site.
Best to know in Bagamoyo
- The most important trading town in Tanzania from the late 19th Century
- Used to be one of the major location during the slave trade.
- Used to be the entry point for explorers and traders wanting to go inwards into “dark Africa”. Famous explorers i.e. David Livingstone, Richard Burton, John Speke, Henry Morton Stanley passed through this centre for their trip inwards.
- Was the Headquarters for German East Africa
- Pristine Beaches for snorkeling and relaxing.
- Historical excursions
- Kaole Ruins dating back to the 13th Century.
When To Go Bagamoyo
- Climate is Coastal which is mainly hot and humid with seasonal rains combined with Savannah landscapes.
- Hot and humid weather most of the year round- Hottest months from November – February with average day temperatures of 31 C.
- 2 distinct rainy seasons i.e. April-May “ Long Rains” / October-November “Short Rains”.
Type Of Activities
- Historical Excursions in and around the city.
- Visit the famous Kaole Ruins that dates back to the 13th Century.
- Walk around the town centre to feel the historic value this small town has played in the history of Tanzania.
- Relax on the beach, snorkel or paddle.
- Pay a visit to the well known Bagamoyo Centre for Arts and Culture to seelocal culture being taught to many foreign students.